ORIGINAL POST: #FRIENDS OF JAG (3 MAY 2016)
The Johannesburg Art Gallery Centenary commemorative medallions provide JAG with a valuable and tangible memento of the recent celebration of its original Edwin Lutyens building.
The Lutyens building was opened to the public without ceremony in 1915. The building itself and some of the prominent artworks from the collection are featured on the three 2 oz sterling silver medallions.
Different aspects JAG’s neo-classical architectural motives are featured on the obverse of the three medallions and was designed by Breinstorm Brand Architects’ inhouse designer Jana Jansen van Vuuren. To tie in with the architectural motives the reverse sides of the medallions, designed by renowned South African graphic artists Sindiso Nyoni, feature prominent sculptural pieces from the JAG collection. Edoardo Villa’s (1915-2011) St Sebastian, which guards the northern entrance of the gallery, adorns the reverse of one of the medallions. Two sculptural works by exiled Struggle Artist Dumile Feni (1942-1991), both entitled Portrait of Chief Albert Luthuli, feature on another of the reverse sides. Bruce Arnott’s (b. 1938) bronze The Citizen, part of JAG’s Centenary Trust acquisitions made in 1986, completes the set.
The Johannesburg Art Gallery Centenary commemorative medallions are available in 100 limited edition sets and 100 single issues of each medallion. A collaboration between the Friends of JAG and the South African Mint, a percentage of the proceeds from the medallions will help bolster the Friends’ fundraising initiatives, and help us support the Gallery.